What I like to do it look back at the previous years resolutions and see how close I've come to completing them. This time last year I was struggling, having left my last position in September and not hooking up with PokerIdol until a couple of weeks into January. I guess my main resolution for 2010 was to get my career sorted.
I'm extremely happy with how I've done. PokerIdol gave me an amazing opportunity with what was some interesting, but fairly flaky experience. It was a slow starter for me, but over the year I feel I've become a completely different person, a much more confident, relaxed young professional. While I've struggled in some areas of the job, I feel I've overal helped the company and have been extremely proud working for them. PokerIdol really strive to innovate and improve the playing experience and I'm thoroughly looking forward to 2011 with them.
So time to set some resolutions to complete this year. I'll list them out and go through them each in some detail.
1. Advance my experience/career/results as much as I have done over the last year.
2. Work in a more efficient manner.
3. Take up a martial art.
4. Become healthy.
5. Complete at least one large personal project, either launching a small business, finishing a poker documentary or releasing a piece of music.
1. As I said earlier, I feel I've moved forward considerably this year, but I want to keep going and either be in a more senior position next year or to of really increased my results. This will be tough, but with some real hard work balanced with an excellent non work life it's definitely possible.
2. Regular readers of my blog will of heard me complain about my efficiency more than once. Spending 10 hours working with only about 6-7 of them being productive is just no way to live! Imagine what could be done with those extra hours.
3. This links into number 4 as well but I've specifically wanted to start a martial art pretty much all my life, just never having the time or money. Now I have, I've spent the last year or so deciding which one to take and have come down to a few decisions. Wing Chun, Mui Thai, BJJ or traditional boxing.
4. Yes, the cliched one on everyones list. This year has been bad for my health. I started alright, but adjusting to the work load of this job and being inefficient has made me terrible. I've stopped exercising, become lazy and have been eating terribly. I'm on the verge of becoming a bit of a slob really, but my effort over the last couple of years hasn't completely worn off, so I should be able to pull it back fairly easily. I don't want any crazy results, just a couple of inches off my waist and a decent level of physical fitness. Adding a Martial Art to my list of other sporting activities (squash, golf, gym) will help keep things mixed up and interesting.
5. While 2010 was successful career wise, it's been extremely poor creative wise, which has killed me. First and foremost I'm a creative person, but my most productive thing this year has been this blog, hence the long, media rich posts! The two types of project I've been working on the last couple of years are business plans and documentary ideas. Both really interest me and I think I have great ideas. Then of course music has been a passion for years. I want to have something big by the end of this year I can be proud of completing.
As of now the documentary idea is the one I'm most likely to do and the one I feel most passionate about. I have two main ideas, a small one that will be fairly easy for me to do myself and a huge one which will be near impossible to do unless I have a lot of backing. Of course to get that I'll need a track record and therefore am going to start making lots of small films, whenever possible.
On new years eve-eve I was finally in the position to play some poker so headed to the new poker room in Basingstoke. They were playing a £1/£2 dealers choice cash game (NLHE, PLO and Irish). While my live cash game is rusty, and I'm still unexperienced in PLO and have never really played Irish, I decided to sit for a while. The players were all fairly weak passive and I did well building my starting stack up, but ended up even after playing for a little too long.
I decided to take another shot yesterday and decided it would be the setting of my first attempt at a mini film. Below is the result.
Video editing has never been a strength of mine, I used to use some very advanced programs on the PC and create some very bodged jobs for Music BA Coursework. However now I'm blessed with a mac and the very easy to use iMovie. I picked it up very easily (I guess experience of various audio and video editors help) and am really happy with the result.
Of course if I was to do anything serious, I'd use a more professional editing suite and get a proper editor in to do the job, but at least this way I can get some experience myself from a directoral point of view. This video was shot using my mac webcam and the camera on my Blackberry, so it's not the best quality. I'm getting a 32gig iPhone this week though, which has decent quality video, but I might also purchase one of those small flip HD cameras. Anyway, feedback on the video would be GREATLY appreciated. Go on, just fill out that little comment box.
So on to what else I've been getting upto since the last blog.
Christmas was really nice this year. The family is settled into the big house and all the building work is finally over. Anna came over which was awesome, the first time I've spent the holidays with a girl and it was definitely worth the wait.
New year was really quiet, Anna was working, and just a four of us was at my mate Marc's house. Still, we got the beer pong going which is always fun.
Movie wise I've not been watching much, although I did see the film 'Primer'. Made in 2004, it cost just $7,000 to make! A very geeky sci fi film, but I found it quite entertaining. I certainly didn't find it any less enthralling than Inception which cost $160 MILLION to make. Jesus.
I've had an interesting musical year in 2010, finding new artists has been my second creative release. To see my top 10's, head over to my last.fm profile here: http://www.last.fm/user/1tripz1
Other than that 2011 is shaping up to be an exciting year. Thanks to everyone who's been reading and have a cracking 2011.